Sunday, August 10, 2008

I always thought that being an artist was a great thing. I always thought that the singer would be the one that was given the chance to sing. I always thought that the guitar player would be given the chance to play the guitar. I always thought that being an artist was something much more than performing. I always thought that being an artist was so much more than making money. I always thought that being an artist was so much more. I thought that it was about showing truth in a way that people had not thought about. I thought that it was about showing something beautiful. I thought it was about showing something sad that only human emotions could feel. I thought that it was something that separated humanity from animals. The ability to create and show that man was indeed created to be a creator. I thought it was about showing people a perspective that could not be shown unless done through that art. I thought that without art the world would be less beautiful, it would not feel as much, it would not care as much...
it seems that i was wrong though. Because artists are the most beautiful people. They are the most charismatic people. They are the best performers. They are the best entertainers. They are those who will do what is needed to makes sales.
I am sorry for those who gave us such great art. I am sorry that they gave us such a beautiful example that no one cares about. I am sorry that their will not be anyone like them again.

3 comments:

Dan Allen said...

wow...debbie downer:) I guess we could make a similar comparison to Christians. Just because the majority of Christians (especially in the states) , never suffer or sacrifice like an average Christian in say China, doesn't negate either one of their expressions of faith. They still both serve the same God, although americans have a tendency to take the many freedoms ad blessings we have for granted.

In the same way, I think artists that have had mainstream or commercial success are still artists, although they might be more prone to losing the passion you eloquently describe in favor of making the sale. I think the artists you describe are still out there though. More importantly, will you allow the multitude of artists who have sold out their gifting for fame and fortune keep you from attaining the ideal you describe? Just some thoughts...

Eric Sidler said...

I agree with Dan's sentiments on this topic. I think you're right that art has been perverted somewhat for commercial purposes, but I think this is not necessarily a new thing and that there are still those who pursue art for its own sake. Otherwise, why would we have so many starving artists out there? Why wouldn't they have abandoned their quest long ago in favor of more lucrative and "secure" occupations? Why do people spend their hard-earned money appreciating art such as opera, ballet or U2 concerts?

Even those we look to as being the "true" artists were faced with the grim reality of having to make a living with what they produced. How many great artists throughout history were forced by economic necessity to "sell out" to the "music industry" in order to avoid destitution?

Gretchen Fagan said...

Ok Mr. Melancholy, I agree with Dan and Eric though I do think your lament is somewhat accurate as well. It seems today many are more willing to be entertained than truly inspired. BUT, I happen to personally know of a few artists that will not sell out and I believe their works will inspire generations to come : )

Cafe

Cafe