Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Terrible King

Day of wrath and terror looming!
Heaven and earth to ash consuming,
David's word and Sibyl's truth foredooming!
What horror must invade the mind,
When the approaching judge shall find,
and sift the deeds of all mankind.
The trumpet casts a wondrous sound,
through the tombs of all around,
making them the throne surround.
Death is struck and nature quaking,
all creation is awaking,
to its judge an answer making.
So when the Judge shall sit,
whatever is hidden shall be seen,
nothing shall remain unpunished.
What am I, wretched one, to say,
What protector impore,
When even a just person will scarcely be confident?
Remember, gracious Jesus,
that I am the cause of your journey;
do not let me be lost on that day.
My prayers are unworthy;
but you, the Good, show me favor,
that i amy not be consumed by eternal fire.
Low I kneel, with a heart of submission!
See, like ashes my contrition!
Help me in my last condition!
King of awesome majesty,
You are terrible...and beautiful

3 comments:

Eric Sidler said...

Did you write this?

Dave P said...

No its from the "dies irea"

Eric Sidler said...

awww...well I like it anyway. Nice poem. I bet you could have written it.

Cafe

Cafe